So, I thought this dress would be a good functional article of clothing for me to wear when I’m doing work around the farm. After wearing it a couple of times, I realized that it was not exactly flattering, and by that I mean it looked terrible. That did not make me feel very confident, so I thought I could remake it to keep its function, yet make it slightly more flattering to wear.
I knew I wanted to finish this apron in a 1950s style with a waist band, gathered skirt portion and princess seams on the top. Now that I had my idea it was time to flow with it.
I just started cutting the thing apart into the 3 main parts the bodice, the skirt and the waistband. To make the waistband I cut a long strip out of the center of the back of the dress, and for the front and skirt I just cut the frond of the dress into 2 parts.
I sewed down the placket to keep the buttons in place and then pieced it all together. At that point I figured out how full I wanted the skirt and how long the straps needed to be. I then made them accordingly and attached them with haphazard stitching.
The princess seams are all just for show. I really just have the one piece of fabric in the bodice that I stitched to make it look like it was all pieced together.
In the photo below you can see how the princess seams are pretty much like curved darts that take in the bodice about a 1/2 inch.
This fabric was really forgiving so shimmying things around and making adjustments was no sweat. And all together it looks like this!
I stitched in the ditch a lot to keep everything laying flat and that’s about it! I didn’t hem the bottom because I kind of like the raw scullery maid look that it gave.
This type of project is one of my favorite. Making something that has potential achieve that potential. Especially when it is a working item like an apron, not a prom dress or anything. It is by no means a masterpiece, however it does have its Cinderella like quaint wiaf-enly type of charm about it.